Friday, July 5, 2013

The Secret Ingredient by Stewart Lewis, Reviewed from NetGalley

On NetGalley, this book was compared to one of Sarah Dessen's, so I had to take a look. Set in L.A., Olivia's life is interesting enough to demand a novel. She is adopted, has two dads, and is a great cook who wants to become a chef at Cordon Bleu in Paris.

But then she has her fortune told in an elevator and I couldn't help but want this plot line to disappear forever. Seriously, couldn't her story have been told without some mysterious lady in the elevator? I loved the idea that she recreates the story of the owner of a used cookbook she finds in a thrift shop. I love that Olivia runs into a boy she used to like. I love that she finds a job in a casting agency and has a crazy older brother who just might make it big.  But the fortune teller--take that out!

No comments: