Monday, October 28, 2013

The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp, Read by MacLeod Andrews.

 I read a lot of books.  But, still, every once in awhile a book really tears at my heartstrings.  This is that book for me this year.  Whoa.  I finished listening to the audiobook last week and I'm still reeling from it.

Sutter Keely (you can tell he's cool by his name, right?) is a senior in high school who drinks too much liquor from his Polar Pop and has too much fun every single night. He's the life of the party, doesn't take much seriously, and lives in the moment.  Then one night he meets Aimee, a not-cool girl who likes science fiction and throws newspapers at 5 am every morning.  They aren't your normal couple.  But Sutter wants to "save" her and tries his best to use Aimee to get over his own lost relationship.

This isn't just a save-the-unpopular girl love story though. Sutter is troubled--he doesn't ever stop drinking. His dad is a loser. His step-dad is a jerk. His mom doesn't care about him. His older sister would rather forget he exists.  We learn so much about Sutter's family, and then we start to question his view of the people around him.  Are things really that bad? Has Sutter been dealt an unfair hand? Or does he need to grow up?

As I listened, I couldn't help but think of the Sutter Keely's in my life.  And not just in high school.  There are plenty of grown men and women in arrested development who live in the spectacular now and refuse to plan for the future.  So, so sad. But it's fun to be friends with a few of those people, right?

Kudos to MacLeod Andrews for the Oklahoman accent--great narration!

The movie The Spectacular Now never made it to theaters by me (of course) so I will have to wait until it's in RedBox or Netflix to watch it--can't wait! See the movie poster and trailer below.





No comments: