Thursday, November 21, 2013

Ashfall by Mike Mullen

First of all, I was impressed when I saw the publisher of this book--Terre Haute? Tanglewood is in Terre Haute, Indiana? Close to me? Huh.  This led me to go to their website and see what else they have published.  It looks like this book is their huge YA hit, so good for them!

Alex is the typical teenage boy--arguing with his mom and full of angst--when the rumbles and storms hit. The gigantic volcano beneath Yellowstone has erupted and causes chaos through the United States and the world. There are a lot of apocalyptic novels out there, but I think what makes this novel stands out is that I kept thinking....really? This could happen? I remember watching some specials on TV about it (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SulM31nqaKw for more information) and wondering if it could happen during my lifetime. This book makes it happen and everything seems very realistic.  Riots ensue in Iowa, the government doesn't help things, and people are left to forage for themselves. Luckily Alex has been trained in tae kwon do, and the self-defense he has learned helps him survive. I also liked how this is a rural book (set in Iowa and Illinois)--the characters know how to hunt, butcher animals, etc.  Non-stop action keeps the reader fascinated, and beware that there are some scenes that make this a book for mature readers. The sequel, Ashen Winter, is already out. Sunrise, Book #3, is due out March 2014.  


No comments: