Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Yay for another kick ass female main character, but, geez, please edit some more and make it a tighter read.  549 pages? Really? And I didn't appreciate the extra spacing between the lines.  Give me normal spacing and a 400 page book instead please.

Ismae is a typical village daughter being sold to a nasty man for marriage when she is "saved" and taken to a unique convent.  The women there are daughters of death, St. Mortain, and learn how to kill and carry out his wishes.  Pretty cool, eh? I'm a huge fan of court intrigue, fancy dresses, dastardly men, and women who buck convention.

This is firmly in the high school YA section--she is trained vaguely in "womanly arts" and the truth about how women were treated back then is referred to often.  And who doesn't want to cure a man's poison by having sex? Or, wait, did she just lie on top of him? Ohhhh, we'll never know....

Dark Triumph, Book #2, is already published.  I haven't decided if I'm going to tackle it or not. It's only 385 pages though so maybe I'll appreciate it more?

No comments: