Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith. Reviewed from Advanced Reading Copy.

To be published 2/11/14.

Oh, this one is going to get some buzz this year! I have a feeling there will be some discussion around the 2015 Printz table, too.  Why? Because this book is different.  Much different from Winger, which I loved and gave 5/5 stars to on Goodreads.

This book is shocking and in-your-face in a way that makes you stay up late to finish it. Austin Szerba is a typical teenage boy, if typical teenage boys are always horny and confused over how he can love two people equally.  But this isn't just a teenage angst/love triangle/rebellious story because there really are giant grasshoppers intent on destroying the world.  I know, I know, it sounds crazy stupid, but it works.  Full of short sentences and crazy back-stories and chapter headings that are simply brilliant--this will hold up to a second and third read by someone looking for literariness. 

Now I'm going to go build a shelter in my backyard....

No comments: