Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Outcasts by Kathleen Kent

I read this title via my Kindle in the advance readers form, so I was thrilled when I finally saw the cover. It fits!

The Outcasts alternates between two tales that, of course, come together in the end.  Lucinda Carter is a whore in Texas in the 1800's and escapes to become a respectable schoolteacher in Louisiana.  However, she still isn't respectable and has a bad habit of choosing bad men to love.

Nate Cannon is the moral opposite of Lucinda. He's a Texas police officer who is learning the ropes of his new job--following his elders and trying to police the Old West. It doesn't always work very well and he has to make a lot of decisions along the way.

I love old westerns and shows like Longmire, so this book hit the spot for me.  Exciting, a bit naughty, adventurous, and a quick, good adult read!

No comments: