Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Read by Roy Dotrice.

Well, folks, if I have choose an audiobook to be the last one I can publicly blog about, I picked a good one, didn't I?

Whoa, is this narrator fantastic.  I don't watch Game of Thrones on TV (can't stand violence and rape on screen), but absolutely loved this book.  It really reminded me of one of my favorite historical series, Conquerer by Conn Iggulden. Genghis: Birth of an Empire won an Alex Award in 2008 and there are now five books in the series.

First of all, I want to name a cat Eddard. It reminds me of the the farm wife on the Will Smith movie who said that her husband wanted sugar water.

There are fantasy elements, but I'm treating this first book as historical fiction--straight out of ancient Scotland or Ireland with a twist of Norwegian thrown in there. It's difficult to know what characters to like--they are all power hungry in some form and even the most loyal man can have his mind changed by circumstance.  Life is rough in this land, and people are always getting injured and/or sick. I must admit that I'll be ready to get back to this series (and the wonderful narrator) after my term on the Odyssey Award committee is up.

No comments: