Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Here and Now by Ann Brashares

To be published April 8, 2014.

Sigh. I really wanted to love this book because I enjoyed The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (at least the first books in the series). But this fell flat to me.

Prenna Jones time travels from the future to contemporary America and tries to fit in. She is supposed to follow the rules (so as not to upset the future), but she falls in love with a boy and screws everything up! She also speaks her mind (that's a no, no) and tries to think for herself.  She rebels against her mom, the establishment, and, of course, ends up changing everything for the better.  This plot has been done before and often.

I'm all for reading books with similar plots if they are done well--like The Testing for The Hunger Games.

But I found myself wanting developed characters in this novel.  For example, Prenna's friend Katherine is just a dud.  We don't know her and don't care to. I didn't care too much about Prenna and her love interest, Ethan. The two of them set off on such an outrageous adventure that I kept rolling my eyes and saying, "Really?" And, like in many time travel novels, the coincidences just don't add up to me. 



No comments: