Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl

Not my usual kind of read, but I was told that is was a "must read" by a friend.  I understand why it's used in psychology classes.  As a history buff, I loved Part I--all about Frankl's experience in concentration camps during World War II and how he survived.  I sure hope I never go through the steps he describes when people suffer. But, if I do, I think I would be one who would do my darnedest to make it.

Part II was about his logotherapy and that's where I started skimming. I've never seriously contemplated the meaning of my life--I've got a daughter to love and students to help. I did find myself agreeing with Frankl a lot:  "By the same token, every human being has the freedom to change at any instant (131)."

Favorite quote from p. 89 in my edition:

"I stopped, looked around, and up to the sky--and then I went down on my knees. At that moment there was very little I knew of myself or of the world--I had but one sentence in mind--always the same: 'I called to the Lord from my narrow prison and He answered me in the freedom of space.' 

Now that's beautiful.  And why I travel to discover new spaces of freedom.

No comments: