Monday, April 28, 2014

The Ring and the Crown by Melissa de la Cruz. Reviewed from Kindle ARC.

I remember reading the first Au Pairs book by this author and thinking it was a juicy, enjoyable read. But I wasn't as thrilled with Blue Bloods.

Either I've grown up or she's regressed a little as an author.  The plot of this book sounds fantastic--alternative history with magic, fighting, princesses, and love.  But I found myself rolling my eyes a lot and wishing that I got to know the characters better.

Princess Marie and Aelwyn were best friends growing up, but separated when Aelwyn accidentally started a fire with her magic.  Aelwyn was raised to control her magic, knowing that she would always be controlled by the crown.  Marie was a sickly child who knew she would have to rule, but was more interested in falling in love.  Prince Wolf (my favorite character, of course) is the 2nd in line to the throne and determined to be the bad boy in the kingdom, while his brother and future king Leopold is the savior to the crown (and a horrible person behind closed doors).  Sounds fascinating, but there were too many plot holes and silly moments that just didn't work for me.

No comments: