Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Glass Sentence by S.E. Grove

This is one the prettiest books I've seen in awhile--Viking/Penguin spent a lot of money producing it. But it fell short for me.

I love the concept of maps and how our world has been upset.  Some countries are in other times for some reason after The Great Disruption. It's 1891 in Sophia's world in Boston. Her uncle is the world's greatest cartographer and when he's kidnapped, she has to try to rescue him and figure out why he was kidnapped. I love the characters she encounters, but, whoa, the middle of the book was so hard to get through! I almost gave up, but I stayed up late to finish. Will I read the second book? No. I see the comparison to Pullman's The Golden Compass, and I love the world that Grove created, but I could have handled one hundred fewer pages.

No comments: