Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson

Reviewed from ARC received from the publisher.

I can't say that I'm a huge Woodson fan.  I loved the audiobook production of Peace, Locomotion, but wasn't thrilled with Hush. I thought Each Kindness was beautiful, but too heavy handed for children, although I'm sure some students need to have books like that read to them to stop bullying!

But, whoa, this one will win some awards.  You know it's coming up at the Newbery table discussion this year, so it will be interesting to see if it wins.  Woodson's memoir is told in verse and she was a sweet, wonderful way with words. After reading this, you'll understand how she grew to know that words are her gift. Lots of passages to highlight in this one and refer back to!

I don't work with children or tweens so I have a question--is this kind of book popular with them? Will this fulfill the requirement of a teacher who requires a biography or autobiography to be read? If so, then the novel in verse will be a hit. But I just can't picture my daughter enjoying the beautiful rhythm and carefully chosen adjectives. It seems to be more for adults and young adults, which makes me wonder if the Printz committee is taking a look? Guess we'll find out in January at the awards ceremony!

No comments: