Friday, December 5, 2014

Boy21 by Matthew Quick

Boy21Boy21 by Matthew Quick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This wasn't what I expected. It wasn't like Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock or The Silver Linings Playbook, but Quick does know how to pack an emotional punch!

First of all, I had no idea that the Irish mob was alive and well in Philadelphia. I guess I only see that stuff on TV, but, if things like what happens in this book happen in real life, then, whoa.

Finley loves basketball. He even breaks up with his star basketball player girlfriend before the season so they both can concentrate on ball. When his coach asks him to befriend a new guy, Finley isn't sure what to think. Finley has enough problems being the only white guy on the basketball team. Now some crazy kid moves into town and Finley is supposed to help him?

Turns out Coach was right. This is one of the best male friendship stories I've read in awhile.

The ending was a bit unbelievable, but, hey, I'll take it.

Give this to teens who want to read about basketball, friendship, romance from the guy's point-of-view, gangs, and escaping.

View all my reviews

No comments: