Monday, December 8, 2014

If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan

If You Could Be MineIf You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really wanted to like this book more, but it fell short. First, yay for the Iranian setting! And the main character is a teenage girl who is in love with her best friend. They spend most of their time kissing, even though homosexuality is illegal in Iran. When Nasrin's marriage is arranged to a handsome young doctor, Sahar must try to figure out how the two of them can be together--perhaps Sahar needs to become a man?

Turns out that becoming a transexual is okay in Iran--who knew? But Sahar never really thinks things through, which I didn't get. She's so concerned about trying to figure out how to "keep" Nasrin to herself, that she doesn't make much sense. If Sahar really is the top of her class at school, I think she would use her brain a bit more.

I never felt attached to Sahar and I really wondered why she liked shallow Nasrin. Nasrin seemed to be using her constantly--just a girl to kiss, but not really a girl to love. Their love didn't seem real, and that is really disappointing in a teenage romance, but at least it makes the ending more realistic!

View all my reviews

No comments: