Monday, December 29, 2014

"The President Has Been Shot!" The Assassination of John F. Kennedy by James L. Swanson

"The President Has Been Shot!": The Assassination of John F. Kennedy by James L. Swanson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've studied history, but never liked reading about JFK's assassination. The modern day Bush family reminds me so much of the Kennedy family--too much money and too many legacies.

As I was reading this, I was SHOCKED about how the Dallas police and the Secret Service handled things. Absolutely mortified. Procedures surely were in place, right? Then why weren't they followed? Ugh....

The second half of the book reads like a mystery novel--I was fascinated. The source material at the end is way too much information for me, but great for students.

This would be 4 stars if it weren't for the first 45 pages. I understand that young people don't know much about JFK's presidency, but I'm wondering if that material could have been worked into the fascinating assassination section?

This is a 2014 YALSA's Award for Excellence in Nonfiction finalist and I see why!



View all my reviews

No comments: