Monday, February 23, 2015

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

Everything I Never Told YouEverything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Alex Award Winner! Gorgeous writing about a dysfunctional family living in the Midwest. The entire family is sad--no one really knows each other. The father is Chinese and tries so hard to become a "real" American that he teaches a class on cowboy culture. His wife is blond-haired and blue-eyed, but lives with tons of regrets because she never went to medical school--she got pregnant instead. The two of them raise their children in a horrible way--everything is about appearances and nothing positive happens. Lydia, the oldest daughter, ends up dead, and the grief doesn't even seem real.

I read this book in one day--so sweetly and slowly written, but so, so, sad. I wanted to reach into the family and rescue the kids.

View all my reviews

No comments: