Thursday, March 5, 2015

Spring Moon by Bette Bao Lord

Spring Moon: A Novel of ChinaSpring Moon: A Novel of China by Bette Bao Lord
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book reminded me of all the historical fiction that I read in high school. My high school librarian didn't have much YA, so I read a lot of Victoria Holt, John Jakes, and other romantic historical fiction.

This author was born in Shanghai in 1938 and, if it weren't for that, I would have concerns about this title. I loved the Chinese myths and legends that were included at the beginning of each chapter, but the life of the rich Changs seemed unbelievable at times. So odd to think they were living so isolated just a hundred years ago, especially the women! How odd to think you can go from foot binding to college educated women in one generation.

Spring Moon is the main character, and you follow her from 1892 up to the 1970s. She lived a long life and loved twice, had children, and was involved with many of the changes in Shanghai and Beijing.

On the plus side, I do feel like I know a bit more about the history of China, and I didn't even have to read a dry textbook!

View all my reviews

No comments: