Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Alex Crow by Andrew Smith

The Alex CrowThe Alex Crow by Andrew Smith
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Well, this isn't quite as weird as Grasshopper Jungle. But Andrew Smith is getting quite the odd reputation. Several stories come together at the end of this and I can't say too much without giving a lot of away. But there is a scene of extreme violence that really bothered me--that makes this for older YAs. Smith still likes to talk about masturbation a lot--I'm wondering if he can write a book that doesn't talk about pleasuring a penis constantly? Is it possible?

I guess I'm burned out. I thought Grasshopper Jungle was unique and was happy it got Printz recognition. But I don't think this one will. I'm feeling like it's another Paper Towns after Looking for Alaska--a repeat of an earlier novel by the same author that received much praise.

I'm ready for something new from Andrew Smith. The masturbation scenes aren't enough anymore.

View all my reviews

No comments: