Friday, May 15, 2015

Butter by Erin Jade Lange

ButterButter by Erin Jade Lange
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was a struggle to read. It covered a lot of important issues for teens, but things didn't always seem a-okay.

Butter is the fat 400+ kid at school. He parks in the handicapped zone at school, he has special double desks in the back of the classrooms, and he has no friends. But when he starts a website and says that he's going to eat himself to death on New Year's Eve, he's suddenly the cool kid that gets into the popular group. Parts of that didn't work for me--they would tease him, egg him on maybe, but he wouldn't be included so much into their group. But the bullying is spot on and cruel.

Of course, he's in love with a popular, beautiful, emotionally troubled thin girl at school, and she's in love with his online persona. Ugh. Didn't care for that part either.

What I did like is the constant inner brain battle that Butter has with his weight and emotional eating. I've been there. I'm still there. He really is emotionally ill, and it's great that the people around him finally figure that out and decide to help him get healthier.

View all my reviews

No comments: