Monday, May 11, 2015

Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson

Roller GirlRoller Girl by Victoria Jamieson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Empowering graphic novel about 12-year-old Astrid who discovers roller derby. I know I learned a lot about the sport--I wasn't sure what else those women did besides skate around in circles! I really appreciated the friendships represented in the book--middle school is the place where some grade school friendships go to die, so it was good to see that represented here.

The art reminded me of Drama, although I gotta say I'm not a fan of all capital letters in a graphic novel. I'm sure this book will show up on a lot of lists because it's receiving a lot of librarian and reader love.

My daughter read it, enjoyed it, but she said she didn't LOVE it. She did want to discuss the flowers on the bleacher at the end--she wanted to make sure it meant what she thought it meant.

View all my reviews

No comments: