Friday, June 5, 2015

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the LusitaniaDead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I know I'm supposed to love this book since it's a bestseller and it's Erik Larson. But, come on--why do I have to know what EVERYONE is wearing? I really don't care about the color of someone's jacket. Seriously, it's boring. Yes, there were journals and letters written by passengers and he did tons of research (as always), but I'm not sure if all the tangents add to the plot.

The audiobook production is great, but I kept saying to myself, "Fire the damn torpedo, Germans! Sink the ship!" Even when I got to disk 8 (I think) when the ship finally is fired upon, it took ages. The suspense didn't make for a good book--it made for a boring one. I'm stopping after Disk 9. I didn't like In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin either, so I may have to give up on this author.

View all my reviews

No comments: