Sunday, July 5, 2015

A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan

A Crucible of Souls: Book One of the Sorcery Ascendant SequenceA Crucible of Souls: Book One of the Sorcery Ascendant Sequence by Mitchell Hogan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Perfect crossover title for young adults! So glad this was one of the ten or so ARCs that I picked up at ALA Annual. (Years ago I used to ship titles home--now I'm picky).

Caldan is a young orphan who is raised at the monastery. While there he learns sorcery, book learning, and sword-fighting, but when he accidently injures a noble's son, he is asked to leave. Luckily he finds refuge at the Sorcerer's Guild, where he hones his own mysterious talent. When his city is attacked, Caldan must do his best to save his friends.

Give this to fans of The Name of the Wind. It won the 2013 Aurealis Award in Australia, so I'm glad it's being published this year in the USA.

View all my reviews

No comments: