Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Abolitionista! by Thomas Estler. Art by Delilah Buckle and Lizbeth R. Jimenez

Abolitionista! (Vol. 1)Abolitionista! by Thomas Estler
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This graphic novel for tweens/teens explains how easy it is to fall victim to sex trafficking. This story needs to be told--that older guy who "loves" you is really just wanting to use you, dear.

It's told in manga format, which I don't really understand since it didn't originate in Japan, but I did appreciate the artwork.

In this story, the victims are 12. At the back of the book, there are cards that can be pulled out and distributed to young people needing help.

There is no violent rape or sex in the book, but it is hinted at, as well as the fact that the support system doesn't always work the way it should in these situations.

There was a misspelled word on page 43--too bad someone didn't edit this before printing. The cards at the end don't line up perfectly either.

I am adding this book to our library collection, simply because I think it's a story that needs to be told.

View all my reviews

No comments: