Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Review: Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town

Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town by Jon Krakauer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a MUST-READ for all incoming college freshmen. Get this on the summer reading lists, now, people! This is a hard listen, as I kept having flashbacks to my freshman year of college, when the senior frat boys loved taking advantage of naive little country girls like me. No one had ever told me what rape was, which is a huge shame, because it's a discussion that should happen with all high school students. This book focuses on Missoula, and how the rape culture of the town was horrific. The football boys got away with rape and "thuggery" and the women who dared to accuse them were vilified and scared to go out in their hometown. Every time I hear "She asked for it" or "she's a slut" or "she's so drunk she doesn't know what she's doing" makes me cringe. Alcohol is NO excuse. Know what consent is and teach the men and women in your life what consent is. Worst/best part of the book? The interview with Frank where he discusses how he takes advantage of freshmen girls. He has no idea that he's a rapist. Ugh. Sad. Gross. Get this book in your college classes. Please.

View all my reviews

No comments: