Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Review: Educating Alice: Adventures of a Curious Woman

Educating Alice: Adventures of a Curious Woman Educating Alice: Adventures of a Curious Woman by Alice Steinbach
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Alice Steinbach is an amazing writer--that's not why I rated this book as okay. However, as she traveled the world learning about new cultures and actually taking classes in other countries, I kept thinking--how does she have the money and time to do this? In every essay I read, I kept seeing glimpses of privilege that prevented me from connecting her with her. I guess she was a bit too classy for me? What she does while traveling is great, but I don't have the time or the money to run off and take classes in Japanese culture for a few weeks or enroll in a Ritz cooking class in Paris. I like books like What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding and The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost: A Memoir of Three Continents, Two Friends, and One Unexpected Adventure better.

View all my reviews

No comments: