Friday, August 14, 2015

Review: Go Set a Watchman

Go Set a Watchman Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm glad this was published, but I'm so glad Harper Lee re-wrote it and created To Kill a Mockingbird years ago. It was nice to "come home" to familiar characters in Maycomb, and I didn't mind getting an inside look into Atticus. I felt like this book was mainly about how people can make excuses for racism, which is still going on today. I guess I'm not as forgiving as Scout.

And I really didn't like the sections that were written like this: "Look sister, we know the facts: you spent the first twenty-one years of your life in the lunching country, in a country whose population is two-thirds agricultural Negro. So drop the act" (178). The whole Jean Louise talking to the reader/self thing didn't work for me.

And then it switches to "You are fascinated with yourself. You will say anything that occurs to you, but what I can't understand are the things that do occur to you. I should like to take your head apart, put a fact in it, and watch it go its way through the runnels of your brain until it comes out of your mouth" (175). So now Scout is trash-talking directly to Hester, a woman she went to school with.

View all my reviews

No comments: