Friday, August 7, 2015

Review: Servant of the Underworld

Servant of the Underworld Servant of the Underworld by Aliette de Bodard
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When was the last time you read a detective novel set during the time of the Aztecs?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I loved two things about this novel--the setting (Tenochtitlan was the Venice of the Americas), and the main character, Acatl. He's a reluctant high priest who just wants to give people the last rites instead of playing politics like the other priests in the city. When his brother is accused of murdering a beautiful woman, Acatl steps into investigate. Lots of magic (or gods, whichever you prefer) here and they anger easily and don't always play nicely. Acatl manages to never sleep and I picture him as an American Wallander--stressed, rumpled, and not having time to eat.

I found out about this book on a list of diverse fantasy and I'm glad I did!

View all my reviews

No comments: