Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Review: States of Confusion: My 19,000-Mile Detour to Find Direction

States of Confusion: My 19,000-Mile Detour to Find Direction States of Confusion: My 19,000-Mile Detour to Find Direction by Paul Jury
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Another college graduate with a degree that doesn't result in an instant awesome job. Sigh. Why do parents let their kids major in things like film studies and rack up the college debt? I'm telling you the same thing that I tell my daughter--if she's majoring in something that makes no money, she will go to community college. Only. If she wants to be a lawyer or doctor or engineer, I'll fork over the big bucks for a high dollar school like Rose Hulman a few miles away or Illinois. But I'm not paying huge bucks for her to major in English. It's not going to happen.

Okay, rant over. Paul is a recent college grad and isn't sure if he wants his law school attending girlfriend and her place in Chicago. And so he decides to wander around the country, eating PB&J, and trying to find purpose in his life. He really is the kind of man I don't like--never happy, always complaining, and wondering why he can't find a $80,000 job he loves after majoring in film.

Sigh. Entitlement, folks.

On the other hand, this book was an easy read and Paul grows up a little on his trip. I'm sure his blog posts were enjoyable as he tried to find the positive in each day of his trip. It does seem like he spent way too much driving instead of living though--this isn't the kind of traveling I ever want to do.

View all my reviews

No comments: