Sunday, August 23, 2015

Review: Thank You for Your Service

Thank You for Your Service Thank You for Your Service by David Finkel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved this author's The Good Soldiers and was on the committee that gave it an Alex Award. So I was looking forward to reading this one, even though I knew it was about a horrible topic--PTSD in soldiers after Iraq and Afghanistan. It really is disheartening, and I found the comparisons to Vietnam intriguing. Fighting a war where nothing is gained (as in yards or cities) is difficult for soldiers. Simply patrolling and being on the lookout for IEDs and snipers is a different kind of war, and some people can't handle it. I liked how Finkel touched on how some soldiers break and some don't, and what kinds of therapies work for some people. There is no one formula that works, unfortunately. Suicide kills so many of our veterans, and this audiobook helped me understand what is currently being done and what programs/therapies offer hope.

View all my reviews

No comments: