Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Review: No Comfort for the Lost

No Comfort for the Lost No Comfort for the Lost by Nancy Herriman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I can see why his historical fiction adult novel has received rave reviews on Goodreads. The setting is great--I really got a feel for old San Francisco, the seedy parts and all. Celia runs a free women's clinic and serves all types of clientele, even the Chinese prostitutes. She isn't the most respected white woman in town because of this, but, of course, she's a force to be reckoned with.

Detective Greaves admires her, even when he doesn't want her involved in the murder investigation of a former prostitute.

I'm not a big fan of mysteries where the solution is solved through lengthy dialogue. I know this is the traditional way of wrapping up a mystery, but I'm just not a fan. I tried watching Criminal Minds last week on Netflix and thought the same thing--don't tell me what happened! Show me!

I can see this being a huge hit with the older mystery crowd though. There will be a sequel. I wouldn't mind one written from Detective Greaves point-of-view--I liked him better than the main character. I guess I'm getting sick of "spunky" women before their time.

View all my reviews

No comments: