Thursday, September 10, 2015

Review: Prairie Fire

Prairie Fire Prairie Fire by E.K. Johnston
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It wasn't until I started this book that I remembered how much I loved the world this author created for The Story of Owen. It's modern times, but things are much different because dragons are among us. I loved the Canadian setting and the name dropping--there's even a shoutout to John and Hank Green on page 188:

"A prominent American young-adult novelist and his brother (who seemed to harbor bardie aspirations of his own) talked about us on their vlog and actually invited Emily to speak at their conference."

The mingling of pop culture and this alternative world that includes YouTube AND dragons was pretty awesome.

Siobhan McQuaid is still a bard who sings about her friend Owen the dragonslayer, but in this book they are in training to join the Oil Watch. The military boot camp isn't fun, especially for Siobhan, whose hands are still injured from the last book when she killed her own dragon with a smoking hot sword.

This book is about friendship. Really good friendship between Siobhan and Owen, as well as the friendship between the Oil Watch squad. The teamwork and camaraderie is great and made me enjoy this book much more than the first. Can't wait to read the next book by this Morris award-winning author.

View all my reviews

No comments: