Thursday, September 17, 2015

Review: Skyscraping

Skyscraping Skyscraping by Cordelia Jensen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

5 stars for the writing--beautiful novel told in verse. But it's not like Ellen Hopkins verse--it's real poetry. There were several poems that were so good I had to read them over again. And some that made me tear up. That makes me think that this could give some award love--the writing is that good. I could see an English class poring over this novel.

But I'm sick of the 90s trend in YA literature. I know, I know, the authors are all my age and grew up in the 90s and so that's what they write about. But I'm wondering if younger teens would get this book? Would it help them understand the stigma of being a gay man in the early 90's and how scared everyone was of AIDS?

I may be wrong. This is when I miss being surrounded by young teens so I can ask them these questions. I did talk to my 12-year-old--she was completely ignorant about AIDS. I sure hope they at least mention it in the Health class she's in this semester!

Kudos to the author for making me feel something. She admits in the afterword that it's a work of fiction that is based on her own life. It's heartfelt poetry--and it shows.

View all my reviews

No comments: