Monday, September 7, 2015

Review: Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World

Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World by Rita Golden Gelman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When Rita Golden Gelman gets a divorce at age 48, she flips out (according to some of her friends). She sells everything and becomes a nomad--traveling cheaply around the world and living in exotic locales. Her explanation for it is easy--she wants to learn more about the people of the world, the food they eat, and their culture.

I admire her, but I don't think I have the guts to do what she did. She spent years in Bali, and lived in New Zealand, Indonesia, Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Israel, the Galapagos Islands, and Thailand. She is a children's book author, and so her royalties kept her going in these places where she could live for dollars a day.

What I did love reading about was how Gelman created a community wherever she went. She made friends quickly and easily and use those connections to make more connections. The backpacker world is a close-knit family, and she mastered it.

View all my reviews

No comments: