Monday, September 14, 2015

Review: A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've been reading a lot of travel memoirs lately, and I wanted to read this one before I watched the movie. At times, I was entertained--I chuckled a bit. But I didn't see the reflection that I've come to expect from travel memoirs. I wanted Bryson to really get down to why he was tackling the Appalachian Trail in the first place. What made him start it? What made him walk it in chunks?

How in the world did he ever think that driving to it and walking and then driving home in the evening would work? (Really, that part drove me nuts. He trashes pollution and modernization a lot in the book, yet he thinks walking the trail in daytime chunks is okay?)

My mind wandered in the science and green rants, but I thought Katz was a hoot. I guess I just wanted more. I wanted to know what Bryson's wife thought about all this. I wanted a more Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail experience that was a life changer.

I didn't find any passages to highlight--that's a disappointment for me when I'm reading a memoir.:(

View all my reviews

No comments: