Sunday, October 18, 2015

Review: The War That Saved My Life

The War That Saved My Life The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ten-year-old Ada is used to taking care of her younger brother in London. Her mother works long hours at the pub, and, since Ada isn't allowed to leave the house because of her ugly foot, Ada has nothing better to do. But when the war comes, Ada decides that the evacuation of children to the country is their chance to get out.

And it works. They are placed with a single woman who saves their life and who teaches them how to love and live. It's a tearjerker, because it's so sad that children need to read about moms who sometimes don't love them. Sigh. Families aren't perfect, and sometimes they suck.

Thanks to a fellow Odyssey committee member from last year who recommended this to me--I bet this one comes up in conversation at the Odyssey table. The production was lovely and Jayne Entwistle was spot on!

View all my reviews

No comments: