Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Review: The Weight of Feathers

The Weight of Feathers The Weight of Feathers by Anna-Marie McLemore
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What is it about magical realism that makes it scream LITERARY? Some of you know that I'm not really a lover of literary books--I like my plot quick and my characters easy to get to know. But this book is beautiful.

It's the kid of book that you can highlight because there are some lyrical lines that you don't ever want to forget. It's the kind of book that English teachers love--personification! metaphors! and the touch of magic helps, instead of turning the book into something cheesy.

The Palomas and the Corbeaus are rival performing families--one performs as mermaids in lakes and rivers and the other wears wings and jumps around tree limbs. It's a Romeo and Juliet story, of course, but so worth the read.

View all my reviews

No comments: