Thursday, December 17, 2015

Review: The Hired Girl

The Hired Girl The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schlitz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I cannot believe that this book is published by Candlewick. This could have easily been published by Severn House or Tyndale or any of those other Christian publishers. I've read more Christian fiction than usual this year because of my current Ireland fixation, and this book easily fits in. The main character's struggle with learning about Judaism when she was raised by a Catholic mother is typical in many of the Christian fiction books I've read.

This is just darn good historical fiction about a young girl struggling to find her place in the world and learning how to think for herself. Joan is pretty naive and ignorant about the ways of the world, but, whoa, does she have the hormonal 14-year-old issues going on.

If you loved this book but don't usually read Christian fiction, you might want to take a look at some that average 4-5 stars on Goodreads. You'll be pleasantly surprised, I think.

View all my reviews

No comments: