Sunday, December 20, 2015

Review: Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad

Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad by M.T. Anderson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Once again, YA nonfiction is kicking butt with quality reads. I don't read much nonfiction, but this was on the shortlist of the YALSA Nonfiction Award, and has received tons of starred reviews, so I figured it was worth a look. Reading nonfiction is difficult for me--I have to read slower than usual, and it's impossible to skim over things. Anderson kept me mostly interested, although I thought for sure that the symphony held a secret code or something--that tells you how much I knew about this topic! I was fascinated by the information about Stalin's evilness and how millions of Russians died at the hands of their own government. I also was intrigued by the information about the siege of Leningrad--reminded me of the Alex-award novel City of Thieves.

View all my reviews

No comments: