Monday, February 8, 2016

Review: Ireland

Ireland Ireland by Melody Carlson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Melody Carlson was wildly popular at the high school where I used to be librarian, because the town had very active churches and youth groups. I pretty much stocked all of her YA books so that I could recommend Christian YA titles to the teens.

This title was about Ireland, so I wanted to read it, and I figured I hadn't read a YA Christian fiction in awhile so I thought I would give it a try. There were a few cheesy moments, but it wasn't too bad. This is the first of a series, in which 19-year-old Maddie begins to travel with her 50-year-old cool aunt around the world. Maddie is pretty naive--she doesn't like to sit in a pub in Ireland to eat, and is uncomfortable with people drinking around her, even if they aren't drunk. She grows up a lot in this book, though, and learns a bit about the IRA and RIRA and the troubles. I thought it was funny that one theme of the book is that it's okay for Christians to drink a little--hey, even Jesus drank wine! :)

View all my reviews

No comments: