Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Review: The Steep & Thorny Way

The Steep & Thorny Way The Steep & Thorny Way by Cat Winters
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My kind of historical fiction. I had NO IDEA that the KKK was this active in Oregon--scary stuff for people living there back in the 1920's. There do seem to be a lot of stories going on in this YA book--Hanalee is a biracial teen girl dealing with racism and not fitting in with her white community. Then there is another plot line about a gay young man being a target of the KKK. Both of them come together as friends to escape and beat the hatred stemming from their community members. Things end up a bit far-fetched, but I enjoyed Hanalee's point-of-view. I'll keep reading books by this author. And I LOVE the cover--glad the publisher put the main character on the cover and not some silly picture of half a body or a face turned away.

View all my reviews

No comments: