Monday, May 2, 2016

Review: The Cold Cold Ground

The Cold Cold Ground The Cold Cold Ground by Adrian McKinty
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Loved the Northern Ireland accents--made me feel like I was back there. Detective Sergeant Duffy is a Catholic cop in Carrickfergus (seriously what was he thinking?) in 1981. He's trying to keep his head down, but it's difficult to do when you have to check your own car for bombs everyday and carry an automatic weapon and riot gear to and from work. I loved hearing more about what it was like back then, especially when I compare it to what I saw a few months ago. All that barbed wire and tall walls around the police stations make sense!

Interesting twist--serial killer targeting gay men? Homosexual acts are a crime in Ireland back then, and even a bigshot of the IRA can't protect himself when he becomes a target.

I've already got two more books by this author on hold--can't wait! And, seriously, I loved the slight twist in the book that is really out of place for most Irish police procedurals. No giveaways here, but you'll know what I mean if you read it.

View all my reviews

No comments: