Monday, May 23, 2016

Review: Nowhere Girl

Nowhere Girl Nowhere Girl by Susan Strecker
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Cady, now a best-selling mystery writer, has always been haunted by the death of her identical twin sister when they were 16. The killer was never found, and now the past comes back when the police chief is fired and the case is re-opened. Cady is happily married, but now her high school crush comes back into her life. He's a corrections officer, and is able to give Cady information for her next month.

I read this book in one night, but there were too many dings against it for me to highly recommend it. Several plot twists were undeveloped--the police chief getting fired, her parents moving, the town rumors, her own marriage problems. I read fast, and, in some cases, a major plot twist happened in one sentence--no exploration necessary, I guess. I had to go back and re-read--what just happened? Don't I get an explanation? Reasons?

And then when I got to the end I felt like I had read the book before. But even that felt unbelievable--she was 16 and her twin sister supposedly KNEW her. I felt like even making the twins 18 or 19 would have made it more believable. And I never felt like Brady and Patrick rang true. The whole romance thing was just messed up.

View all my reviews

No comments: