Thursday, May 19, 2016

Review: We Are the Ants

We Are the Ants We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I didn't feel the love for this one as much as my colleagues did. I give it 5 stars for breaking some boundaries with LGBTQ YA lit (yay romantic love!), but I didn't feel that I was reading something genuine. Maybe it was the supernatural elements added in? Because I did feel like they were added in after the realistic parts of the book were written. I found myself skimming the science parts, and I just didn't understand how no other students/teachers/adults came to Henry's aid. Maybe I live in a lala land, but in schools around here, LGBTQ kids still have a group of kids to hang out with. It's so much different in 2016 compared with 2006. I don't understand why more kids don't help Henry at school, and I REALLY don't understand why the teachers don't do more about the bullying.

View all my reviews

No comments: