Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Review: America's First Daughter

America's First Daughter America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Good read about Thomas Jefferson's daughter, Patsy, and the coming-of-age of our country. It's interesting to read the bits about Hamilton, too, since those lyrics repeated in my head as I read this historical fiction novel.

It is romance, so I found myself rolling my eyes a bit more than I would have liked. Some parts are over the top, but I loved how the authors did a lot of research to bring the people to life. Luckily they explain what they made up, too, which is the main part of the novel--the relationship between Patsy and William Short, as well as Jefferson's relationship with Sally Hemmings.

I could have read an entire novel about Patsy's teenage years in France with her father--the book went downhill for me as she married and stayed in a bad relationship while popping out tons of kids.

View all my reviews

No comments: