Monday, August 1, 2016

Review: The Tumbling Turner Sisters

The Tumbling Turner Sisters The Tumbling Turner Sisters by Juliette Fay
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this easy read, but had a huge problem with the fact that I couldn't tell the sisters apart when they were narrating the story. The chapters are told from the POV of Winnie and Gert. Even though their hopes and dreams were very different, there were times that I had to check the chapter headings to see who was doing the thinking.

In order to raise money for rent while their father is recovering from a drunken injury, the four Turner sisters start a Vaudeville act with their mother acting as babysitter to the oldest sister's infant son. Over the next few years, the sisters fall in love, learn a lot about showbiz, and become more independent. Many newsworthy items are thrown into the novel--Prohibition, women emancipation, the KKK, factory fires, birth control, etc.

View all my reviews

No comments: