Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Review: News of the World

News of the World News of the World by Paulette Jiles
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ah, I love well written westerns! Add in a smooth talking audiobook narrator with a great voice, and I'm in love!

Capt. Kidd doesn't want to be the one who delivers a silent, dirty 11-year-old to her aunt and uncle for $50, but he does. Years ago, the Kiowa had murdered her parents and stolen her, and she was fully adopted into their world. Now, like most child captives, she isn't acting thrilled to be returning to her old ways. Their journey is the story and they encounter a lot of trouble along the way!

Captivity stories are their own kind of trouble, I know, but I've read them since I was first introduced to Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison when I was little. When I taught high school American lit, I introduced my students to the first American bestseller written by a woman, The Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson. This one can be grouped together with those as a captivity story, but it's so much more than that, mainly because Capt. Kidd becomes a better person because of his relationship with Johanna. She brings out the good in him. Even I teared up a little at the end!

View all my reviews

No comments: