Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Review: The Underground Railroad

The Underground Railroad The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Oprah, you still know how to pick them!

Loved this book, although I have to admit I'll be pushing for Homegoing to win more prizes since I loved it more.

Interesting twist of having an actual underground railroad in the South in this alternative history, but the pain and suffering of Cora is so, so real. There is some literary genius going on in this novel--the symbolism and deep characterization will stick with me. And it might be alternative history, but bits and pieces of the alternative parts are oh-so-true in reality. It's one of those books that could use a re-read by me if I had the time.

Read it and see what the hype is all about!

View all my reviews

No comments: