Thursday, February 2, 2017

Review: Sachiko: A Nagasaki Bomb Survivor's Story

Sachiko: A Nagasaki Bomb Survivor's Story Sachiko: A Nagasaki Bomb Survivor's Story by Caren Stelson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Fascinating true story of Sachiko Yasui, who was 6-years-old when the atomic bomb dropped on her family's home in Nagasaki. In stark words, she tells how her family members died--cancers, radiation sickness and severe burns, all while letting readers know how those things weren't to be discussed. Horrific.

My only fault was that there were too many interrupting side stories during Sachiko's tale at the beginning of the book. I wanted to read about her and wanted the background info to be available in smaller columns on the side so I could skip when needed.

I was pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of Helen Keller, Gandhi, and Martin Luther King, Jr.--who knew?

View all my reviews

No comments: