Saturday, February 18, 2017

Review: Scythe

Scythe Scythe by Neal Shusterman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I think this might be Shusterman's best yet, and he's written some good ones like Unwind and The Schwa Was Here. I'm looking forward to the sequel since this is the first of a trilogy. I'm impressed that it won a Printz honor for literary-goodness, but this futuristic perfect world had some unexpected twists and turns that surprised me. There are some sophisticated comments and ideas for teens who get those, and yet it has enough action for kids who don't understand the higher level thinking portions. In this perfect world, population control has to be performed by scythes, since there is no disease or natural death. Two teens become apprenticed to Scythe Faraday, and their training and education is a whirlwind of surprises, heartache, scheming, and, of course, saving the world. Give to teens who like adventure, scifi, dystopia, horror, action, and, well, just about anything.

View all my reviews

No comments: