Monday, March 6, 2017

Review: Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood

Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I feel guilty now that I haven't been recording The Daily Show with Trevor Noah. After listening to reading him read his memoir, I'll have to set my DVR because I love him even more. This memoir is brilliant--his rise to fame is told simply, yet readers will be amazed at where he came from. I thought I knew a bit about apartheid in South Africa, but his explanation of the differences between whites, blacks, and "coloreds" shocked me. He was illegal! He had to play inside walls so that cops wouldn't see the color of his skin! What?????

The appropriation of American culture and definition of poverty fascinated me, and I appreciated his explanation of how poor people need the tools to get out of poverty--not just the education. Fascinating to think that the gift of a CD burner contributed to his success!

Please buy this for your high school libraries and push it to your teens--it's his coming-of-age story, and teens will connect with his tales of dating, abuse from his step-father, sibling relationships, and his loving, yet volatile relationship with his mother. This memoir is good stuff.

View all my reviews

No comments: